Too many law firms make the mistake of ignoring online marketing.
It's a common misconception that because your clients wouldn't choose to hire you simply because they searched online, that online marketing would not be an effective tool for growing your practice. You may not think that search engines are where new prospective clients will find you, but there are many reasons why marketing online can help boost your practice, and search is just one part of a bigger picture. With 131 billion online searches per month, ignoring your potential to be seen online represents a huge opportunity cost.
So how can a law firm stand out online? Two words...Online Marketing
Surprisingly, your goal should not be to push your firm or to be "salesy" at all. Being pushy about your practice can and will turn off prospective clients. Instead, you want to position your firm as an expert in your practice areas and publish content that would be a helpful resource to your target audience.
Becoming a source of relevant information to online users accomplishes several things:
- To potential clients, you stand out as legal experts in your particular field, and when they are eventually in need of your services, your firm will be top of mind.
- Publishing and posting content online also increases your search engine rankings, meaning it is easier to be found when those potential clients search for firms like yours.
- Showing up in search results will give you additional credibility and name recognition.
- Quality online content will help to position your firm as the local expert within your community, in your professional associations and for the media.
A good strategy for law firms will incorporate the following tactics:
- Content review of your website
- Search Engine Optimization for your website
- Link Building from reputable associations, universities etc.
- Online Public Relations
- Social Media
- Content Marketing
- Email Marketing (i.e. Newsletters, alerts, content offers)
Here's an example of how this might work for you. Let's say a person wants to learn more about a particular law that affects their business. You've optimized your website for important keywords and have included relevant content on your blog. A quick google search leads back to a detailed post on your blog with a clear explanation with links to resources throughout your website and social media accounts. If this person eventually decides to hire a law firm, your blog and your online presence will make you stand out and keep you top of mind.
The best online strategies utilize the proper mix of tactics and analysis of performance and conversions. This ongoing analysis allows you to concentrate your efforts on the strategies that work for you, and eliminate those that do not.
How much time will it take for you to develop and deploy an online marketing strategy?
There's no question that you need to devote the time to developing an online marketing strategy and to keeping it current. If you feel like tackling your online presence is too much to handle alone, then we have you covered! A skilled online agency (like ours!) knows what is effective and what isn’t. When choosing an agency, pick one that can provide you with audience-specific content for multiple online channels, regularly scheduled blog posts and content offers, and strategically timed and targeted social media posts as well as targeted search marketing efforts. Your agency should be providing you with ongoing reports of activity and performance so that you can track and evaluate your ROI.